Jan 29, 2010

Faithfulness

It was early November, and the weather was becoming cold. I had the opportunity for a mid-week hunt due to a recent job loss. The time to get outdoors could not have come at a better time. I made it to the woods about 45 minutes before daylight. I set up on the ground in some tall weeds in the corner of a soy bean field, to my right and a wood line to my back and left.
As I waited for sunrise, there were sounds of ducks and geese from the nearby lake and as sunrise approached the air began to cool and frost fell across the land. The feeling of God being near was so real. I took time to focus on Him and pray for the day and my family as they were preparing to leave for school. Not knowing what the morning would hold I asked God to make my arrow fly true if presented with a shot.
As day light began to appear I made out a form that seemed to appear from thin air. Caught off guard, I was unable to ready for a shot and come to full draw. The deer stopped and looked directly at me. As I studied the animal I was able to make out antlers. Unable to determine the total number of points, I was able to judge the antlers to be high and about two inches outside his ears. As I sat motionless the majestic beast began to walk down the tree line closing the distance. As the deer came closer he could tell something was not right with his territory. Oddly he did not stomp or blow trying to get me to reveal my position. After coming to about 15 yards the deer turned and stepped into the woods behind a large cedar. I started to breath again, remaining still and alert, I knew the deer was near. As I listened I could tell the deer was close and had continued to come down the wood line toward me. I slowly turned to look to my left into the woods. The alert deer was now about 5 yards from me and caught my movement. I heard the deer bolt thru the woods to safety. What an encounter! Now the deer was gone, I replayed the event as I enjoyed the peaceful sunrise and thanked God for allowing me to be part of His creation.
After a few minutes I determined the hunt was a success and decided to try moving from this position to another position back in the hard woods behind me. I repositioned myself on a small ridge in a stand of oaks. Feeling that the rut was starting and the cold snap would cause the deer to be moving, I took my grunt and bleat calls out of my pack. After making a couple of bleats followed by a grunt, I looked up and saw a deer come over the ridge with his head up looking for the sounds. The deer came from my right and was quartering away as he crossed the ridge. Knowing there was not much time to draw and shoot, I brought my bow into position, came to full draw and released in a mater of milliseconds. The arrow flew in what appeared to be slow motion. As the arrow disappeared the deer bolted and ran off. I was overcome with a massive case of buck fever, and left with the question of did I miss.
This was the first deer I had been this close to with a bow in hand and possibly the first deer I had a chance to shoot with my bow. Once the woods returned to a peaceful state I examined the terrain and was amazed at all the little sticks and trees sticking up between me and where the deer had been standing. The deer appeared to be more on level with me, but was actually down hill. I replayed the shot over and over and never did see the arrow hit its mark, I had a sinking feeling I had missed due to the arrow flight being low and to the left. I tried to contain my nerves, but was like a child on Christmas morning. Making myself sit for 2 minutes before I convinced my self to go and look for the arrow. After reaching the place I thought the deer had been and where the arrow should be I was overcome with despair. I did not locate the arrow only displaced leaves from the buck’s bolt. As I searched I did not find the arrow but something better, BLOOD!!!! And a lot of it. Now I knew the deer had been hit and hit good! At this point the excitement was overwhelming. I headed back to my stool to regroup. I knew I needed to allow time for the deer to expire.
I checked the time and it was only 7:10am, I called my wife and shared the news with her and my son and daughter as they were headed to school. They were very excited for me and my wife said she had prayed that morning for God to bring me a deer. After a few more phone calls I took out my sportsman’s Bible and read thru some Proverbs to help pass time. I was able to contain the excitement for 45 minutes. I began tracking and followed the trail across the ridge. Relief was felt when I saw the white belly from a few yards away. The deer was only 60 yards from the original position. I thanked God for the opportunity to take this deer many times. I felt a peace that He was near and had brought this deer to me at a time of turmoil in my life, showing his faithfulness and helping me to see that He is in control. I examined the 6 point trying to locate the shot entry and exit. Looking around the shoulder area I was unable to find one. Perplexed, I noticed a wound at the lower edge of the brisket in front of the left front shoulder. This made me curious and I then noticed the arrow hit the deer in the leading edge of the front left leg. Retracing how the arrow would have flown it should have missed. The arrow hit the leg and as the deer dropped to run, the arrow turned right and hit the edge of the brisket and continued to turn right into the boiler room. I found the broad head and half the arrow inside the deer, long way facing the rear of the animal causing damage to the heart and lungs. This confirmed to me that God guided the arrow’s path and that I can do nothing own my own without Him. Own my own I missed the target, yet the Lord was faithful and through Him my efforts were made true.

No comments:

Post a Comment