Nov 25, 2009

Blind Ambition Part III

When I began writing this story my biggest fear was that there would be some who would look right past all the time, practice, and preparation that went into this hunting trip and think I was reckless or unaware of the dangers. I would encourage you to look at the other stories and pictures (Part I and Part II) to be reminded that we have been at this for a while. I have always been an outdoorsman. At the same time though part of the goal is to encourage those with disabilities to get outside and do what you love to do. Find out what makes you come alive and well…. do that!
We have hunted this same place in Alabama for three years. My band of brothers has been encouraging and helpful in finding my way around the farm. I have driven four wheelers, cooked bacon and eggs, and helped put a roof on a hay shed. We have many hunts under our belt together and are familiar with our surroundings. It is always a must to keep the safety of yourself and others a first priority. I have my own firearm and am comfortable with using it. Now I am familiar enough with the farm that I can get from field to field on my own. I have this map in my mind of where things and places are like an internal compass if you will. This story should include some humor. Remember we are all about hunting, eating, and sleeping, but there is some fun mixed in too. Like me being able to scare my friends in the dark because I don’t need a flashlight. Like my “friends” putting things on or in some cases taking things off my plate at dinnertime. Like somebody lying on my bed very quietly until I sit down to take my boots off and grabbing me. You have to be on guard with these guys.
So, let me tell you how it went down. This was a Wednesday through Sunday hunt. Rusty and I hunted together without even hearing anything. John and I hunted together once too. The weather turned pretty cold but stayed dry. John shot a cowhorn buck Thursday that weighed about 100 pounds. Friday and Saturday morning and evening hunts came and went with no game. The afternoons were warmer with a stiff wind. We moved hunting blinds and tree stands still with no good prospects of harvesting a deer. It didn’t matter some days because the weather was so great, the air so clean, and everything was so quiet and peaceful. We have just finished a Wild at Heart 8 week study at church and I have been learning more about myself and realize that being outdoors like this is what makes me come alive. During the study they recommend some solitude. As a blind man with a great family and lots of friends willing and eager to help I must tell you I don’t get much solitude. Some people don’t need much time alone or even enjoy time alone but I do and I need it from time to time.
This brings us to Saturday night. I ask Rusty and Emory about hunting and being in the shooting house by myself. We all had our concerns but we began to solve each one to make this work. They were doing this for me. Our friend L.C., the owner of the farm, had a place that wasn’t hunted much. This food plot was secluded and small with only one way in or out. It has a gate, which was closed, and he flagged off the trail getting to the field. It felt so good to be doing this on my own. Don’t misunderstand. It has nothing to do with my friends because I love being out in the wild with them. This was just something I needed and wanted to do alone. It wasn’t about shooting a deer. It wasn’t about bragging rights or saying I could. It was about regaining something I lost a long time ago.
The wind picked back up and the temperature fell but I didn’t notice at the time. I sat there for several hours and it seemed like only minutes. I was in prayer for a long time. Our friend Michael was to be with us but passed away from cancer at twenty-four years old this summer. I was thinking about him and praying when I heard these deer coming through the woods. It sounded like just a couple and they walked out of the woods and stopped right in front of me and started eating. They got spooked by something and ran off. About five minutes later they came back and brought friends! The ground in this part of the country is sandy and soft but it had a hard crusty surface, which sounded like eggshells. They began walking across the middle of the field and stopped to eat and I took my shot. I heard it fall immediately. The others ran back to the front of the shooting house and stopped to eat like nothing had happened. So I took another shot and missed. I put the safety on and put my gun in the corner and got down and walked the field to find my deer. I was following the shuffling in the leaves from it kicking. It didn’t dawn on me it was still alive and I put my hand down to feel for antlers and quickly realized I must finish the job. I did. It didn’t seem real and still doesn’t. I turned on my two-way radio and called Rusty, which he had asked me to do if I shot. He answered back and said he had turned his radio volume up too loud and when I called I scared his deer out of the field. Sorry about that. My friends came from their hunting spots after hearing the shots and told me I had shot somebody’s cow. That was real funny Emory! It was a doe that weighed about a hundred thirty pounds. I had done it. I had spent some time right where I wanted to be and to top it off I had harvested a good-sized deer. Praise the Lord He is so good. We loaded it up on the RTV and took it to camp to clean it. We always eat our harvest but I gave the best parts to my friend L.C. and wife Kaye to enjoy for their warm hospitality. Oh yea, I gave some to “sweetheart” my buddy the chocolate lab too. The world God gave us to be in and enjoy is awesome. We are so blessed. I love enjoying what He has given us.
Sunday Mornings have become a great tradition also. We clean up after a week of no shaving and long johns and go to church with our friends. The people there love us and we love them. They have gotten to look for us each year and want to know what we have been doing. I had a good time this year telling that I had gone hunting with my friends and the blind man is the only one that killed anything. How cool is that! I have learned so much about myself through all this, but I have learned a great deal about my family and friends as well. Jeremiah 29 comes to mind. Through difficulties and losses we all have hurt and suffered. But, I have found more of who God wants me to be than ever before. His ways are not our ways, nor are His thoughts our thoughts. So, I encourage you whether you have physical disabilities or not don’t stop, don’t give in, don’t give up, and don’t give out. Also to you men out there, if you haven’t done the Wild at Heart study with some friends I encourage you to get it and stick with it. It will change your life and give you your heart back.
I am writing this on Thanksgiving eve and I can’t think of anything I could be more thankful for at this moment than my family and friends. Thanks guys!
Ruth 2:12 says you shall be rewarded for what you do for others. To my family and friends you will truly be blessed by being a blessing to me.
In Christ Alone,
Steve Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment